Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 4 - 7/21

This was my real final day of what I hoped would be great two wheeling (both motor and bicycle). I woke up early (again) to get down to the bike rental shop down the street. I was told that Tuesdays are especially busy because of the $20 all day bike rental rates that they offer. So I got up, got dressed, grabbed my backpack with essentials, and headed down to the lobby to check out the free "breakfast". Yup....exactly what I expected - pre-packaged carbs galore! And lets not forget the styrofoam and plastic plates, bowls and cutlery. I grabbed a couple of mini doughnuts and decided that I best grab a good cup of coffee and another breakfast items elsewhere. Went down to this nice little organic cafe where I ordered an Americano and had one of their delicious breakfast burritos. Finally feeling like I was ready to tackle some of Mammoth's trails, I headed over to the bike shop and...yes...stood in line behind another 25 or so others waiting to do the exact same thing I wanted. Surprisingly, things went rather smooth and got a bike and helmet in less than 30 min. Up I went, taking the basin path up to the lakes area, all the while thinking "maybe I should just jump on the free shuttle like everyone else". Glad I stuck through it as I was rewarded with the feeling of accomplishment after completing not only the uphill climb but took in some decent single track riding in a couple of spots throughout the area, including a bomber run on the last part of my ride. I was so stocked that it showed up when it did, basically closing out my outdoor activities of this entire excursion.




Made it back to the room in time to jump in the shower, suite up, pack up, and check out of that most uninspiring motel on time (11:30 a.m.).
Off to Bakersfield I decided so that my last day of riding the V was a bit more easy going. After a smooth run down the 395 from Mammoth (what a beautiful spectacle the eastern Sierra range is), I decided to take the alternative route (that which was not mapped out automatically on my GPS) on highway 178. WOW! What an awesome road. Hardly a car in either direction, smooth single lane, with a wide variety of turns - tight, fast sweepers, drop ins. It was a great way to spend the better half of my day on the motorcycle. I must have been on the 178 for a good 3 hours. The highway just kept giving it up. After Lake Isabella (which in my opinion, is in serious decline), the highway took on a high speed sweeping/flowing character for a good 15 miles. As if that wasn't enough, the fast flow gave rise to canyon carving along the Kern River and through the lower Sequoia National Park areas. What a spectacular motorcycle highway. I highly recommend it to any serious rider. It was so fun.

But once out of the canyon the fun came to an abrupt end as I found myself in Bakersfield - yay! They don't call it Bakersfield for nothing. That's right, it's down right HOT! upper 90's, congested, sprawled out, and just plain uncomfortable. But, I am finally (after only two nights of poor accommodations) in a rather comfortable inn. My prime objective = get a good night's sleep! Tomorrow, I journey to beautiful San Louis Obispo to meet up with my son and mother. There, I hope to stay the night and then it's back home via highway 1 coastal scenic rout where I return home from what has been a totally amazing motorcycle tour.

Good night!
-MB









No comments:

Post a Comment